Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tuesday Treasure: A Gift of a Poem


In keeping with my Tuesday treasure hunts, I'm going to show you another treasure I found this week.  But unlike most of my "hunts," I didn't look for this one.  Rather, it found me.  I've been walking on air all week because of it.

My friend Irene at wordloversunite gave me this poem on Sunday.   I literally swooned with delight at it.   It shimmers and glitters and thrills--a real treasure.   Allow me to hold it up for you to admire:  


Simplicity 8953
- for Kirie

The pattern promises to make a princess
so I gather together tulle, organza,
duchess satin and dupioni silk
to spin a girl’s dream: flouncy slip
beneath shimmering skirt, puffy sleeves,
bodice edged with beaded rosette trim.
I don’t warn her about the clock
or tell her how glass slippers sometimes shatter.
I stay up till dawn, add a tuck
so that it fits just right
and later as she prances and twirls
I vow to hold her close
should white steeds dissolve into skittering mice,
the royal coach to a rotting pumpkin,
the prince lost in moonlight, then
caught dancing with someone else.

- Irene Latham


You can read more of Irene's work on her blog, http://wordloversunite.blogspot.com/, and in her book, What Came Before .  I am so honored that she would be inspired to write something so lovely for me.   I treasure it.   Thank you, Irene!!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Kirie and Kirie's mom! :) I was thinking that this, this right here, is why the world wide web is a wonderful thing. Because no other way would this have happened, and here we are touching each other's lives. I am so grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!!! This should be framed in your daughter's room...and illustrated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Storialist, I agree! I've got a perfect artist in mind....now to persuade her to do another commission! Thanks for the great idea! Irene, I'll let you know how it turns out.
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely gift. It made me cry a second time. And, I totally agree with the Storialist. Print and frame it!

    ReplyDelete